The New York Senate in Albany has just ratified a climate bill committing the state to reduce CO2 emissions by 70 percent by 2030, relative to the level in 1990. The legislation also sets its sights on achieving carbon neutrality in 2050. The ambition is to reduce emissions by 85 percent, while the remaining 15 percent will be offset by various forms of atmospheric carbon removal.
New York's plan takes its inspiration from the strongly polarizing Green New Deal – a set of ideas introduced by, among others, House Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who prescribes methods for accelerating climate change mitigation efforts and simultaneously combating social inequities. The Green New Deal was blocked by the Republican-dominated federal Senate. Republicans claimed the proposal would damage US industry.
Already a subscriber? Log in.
Read the whole article
Get 14 days free access.
No credit card required.
- Access all locked articles
- Receive our daily newsletters
- Access our app
Get full access for you and your coworkers.Start a free company trial today
Your trial for EnergyWatch has now started
With your free trial you get:
Full access to all locked articles on EnergyWatch.
Daily newsletter and ongoing top-newsletters. You can unsubscribe and subscribe to our newsletters anytime.
When your trial period expires
You will not be transferred to a paid subscription.
You will continue to receive our newsletters after the trial period expires. You can unsubscribe at the bottom of each newsletter.
More from EnergyWatch
The cybercriminal group that has held Vestas' internal data hostage over the past two weeks is known by the Danish Defence Intelligence Service. Several reports provide insight on recruitment and targets of "Lockbit 2.0" – also establishing possible connection to last year's major hacker attack on the US' Colonial Pipeline.